Having wide feet or wide flat feet can make shopping for walking shoes, an arduous task. You may even end up not getting a comfortable and functional pair when you find one.
Millions of people are battling with such challenges daily because they cannot figure out what a regular functional pair should be like.
You are not alone on this one.
Thus, we are here to help you embark on this intensive research to reveal the 10 best walking shoes for wide feet of 2022.
The New Balance Men’s 577 V1 Lace-up Walking Shoe is distinct from the rest thanks to the unique shape, build, and movement it offers.
Are there other brands among the ten that provide that much comfort and functionality – or even much more?
Let’s dive right into the article to learn more!
Best Walking Shoes for Wide Feet
|New Balance Men's 577 V1 Lace-up Walking Shoe||Check Price||Leather||Rubber|
|Skechers Women's Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe||Check Price||Textile||Synthetic|
|Ryka Women's Devotion Plus 2 Walking Shoe||Check Price||Mesh||Synthetic|
|Brooks Men's Addiction Walker Walking Shoes||Check Price||Leather||Synthetic|
|ASICS Women's Gel-Contend 5 SL Walking Shoes||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Reebok Men's Ridgerider 4.0 Leather Walking Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic||Synthetic|
|Saucony Women's ProGrid Integrity ST2 Walking Shoe||Check Price||Leather||Rubber|
|Rockport Men's Eureka Walking Shoe||Check Price||Leather||Rubber|
|SAS Women's, Walk Easy Walking Shoe||Check Price||Polyurethane||Synthetic|
|Vionic Women's Walker||Check Price||Leather||Rubber|
1. New Balance Men’s 577 V1 Lace-up Walking Shoe
The New Balance Men’s 577 ensures that your feet are fatigue-free, thanks to the superior cushioning and support it offers.
The leather mesh upper and polyester leather lining promotes flexibility, allowing the feet to stretch comfortably without restriction.
Its availability in full and x-wide sizes makes it perfect if you have wide feet. This feature eventually helps reduce stress on the feet, leg, knee, and back.
- The upper is made of durable leather to make it last long
- Presence of ABZORB cushioning in the heel area for optimal shock absorption
- Use of polyurethane midsole offers stable cushioning
- The reflective accents on the shoe can help to catch light in the darkness
- The padded tongue and collar enhance structural integrity
- Use of deep toe box allows for custom orthotics when needed
- Loop, hook, or lace-up closure for a snug and comfortable fit
- Exceptional quality at an affordable price
- Available in 3 variants of colors
- The sole squeaks a lot
- The outside upper separates from the sole after some time
- Poor quality control
The New Balance Men’s 577 V1 Lace-up Walking Shoe is well-padded, a feature that helps to reduce the break-in period significantly. On the other hand, though, the pad makes it a bit uncomfortable in warm weather.
2. Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe
Take your strides in absolute comfort with Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy. Its innovative 5GEN midsole and advanced mesh fabric are second to none.
The highly breathable lightweight and comfortable upper design comfortably accommodate wide feet since it stretches to conform to the shape of the feet.
To qualify as one of the very best walking shoes for wide flat feet, this pair did come with a natural expansion ability that provides a comfortable, natural fit.
Whether you have a hammertoe, bunions, plantar fasciitis, or arthritis, you will hardly feel any pain considering the comfort the shoe provides.
You will also discover that the mesh upper promotes breathability and keeps your feet fresh. It also dries fast when you walk through the water.
- Enjoy maximum cushioning from the innovative and responsive 5GEN midsole inserted for extra comfort
- New Skechers Goga Max high rebound insole for optimal support and cushioning
- The rear pull tab makes it easy to pull on and off
- Presence of solid colored air mesh fabric for a cooling effect
- Use of featherweight sock liner that adapts to the foot when walking
- The integrated pattern on the outsole keeps you comfortable on motion
- GOWALK logo on the side panel for easy identification
- Available in 30 colors to match your mood and wardrobe
- It wears out quickly
- It requires a break-in period
- The sole usually picks up dirt and debris
The full width of Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe makes it broader and deeper, giving your feet enough room for movement or insertion of custom orthotics. Speaking of Orthotics, check out our top 7 Orthotics running shoe review here!
With the round toe design and durable reinforcement at the bumper, your feet will always stay safe.
3. Ryka Women’s Devotion Plus 2 Walking Shoe
If you want only the best walking shoes for wide flat feet, the Ryka Women’s Devotion Plus made for a woman’s unique foot shape, muscle build, and movement is an ideal choice.
The flowing and feminine seamless overlays and four-way gradient print on breathable mesh make it the center of attraction.
Let the proprietary RE-ZORB active foam collar with lycra-lined tongue give your feet the comfort and support it deserves.
Its availability in a variety of colors makes it suitable for wearing to workplaces where you will spend hours on your feet walking around.
You will also find a color to match your outfit, given the variety available.
- Use of smooth lining, cushioning insole with Anatomical Precise-Return footbed for added comfort
- Lace-up frontal for a snug and custom fit
- Full toe box cradles the instep and area perfectly
- Attractive and lightweight mesh in the upper section promotes breathability
- RE-ZORB technology in EVA midsole offers responsive cushioning for impact protection and shock absorption
- Use of exceptional multi-layer construction for comfort and support
- Presence of external pod network between midsole and outsole for extra cushioning
- The eight-piece radiused skeletal rubber outsole and cobblestone engineering gives you a firm grip on all surfaces
- Use of comfort collar with in-built cushion
- The insulation is not enough for cold temperature weather
- Laces are difficult to lace through the slits
- Poor quality control
Whether you have flat feet, fallen arches, or plantar fasciitis, the stability and support provided by the Ryka Women’s Devotion Plus 2 Walking Shoe will help you get through the day with minimal discomfort.
4. Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
The Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker is a perfect choice for runners or walkers that need walking shoes with a roomier fit.
Whether you have low arches or want to control overpronation, the supple leather upper will provide the maximum support required.
You can’t afford to miss out on the durable, energy-returning MoGo midsole cushioning, motion control gear, and a reliable slip-resistant outsole.
- The traditional lace-up style guarantees a preferred fit
- Use of breathable mesh lining for proper ventilation to keep the feet fresh, dry, and odor-free
- A lightweight removable insole offers excellent underfoot support and cushioning
- Presence of flat-to-medium arch around the insole area for extra support
- BioMoGo DNA midsole cushioning provides optimal responsiveness and durability
- Extended Progressive Diagonal Roll-bar (PDRB) supports the arch to guide and keep the body in its natural position when on the motion
- The engineered MC Pod Configuration in the forefoot offers maximum flexibility and motion control from heel strike through the toe-off
- The outsole is SATRA TM144:2011 slip-resistant certified
- Available in 3 colors as well as size variants ranging from full width to extra wide width
- Some users complained about the interior feeling stiff, thus needing a more extended break-in period
- The front toe area gets damaged after a few uses
If you need to take the pressure off the heel and also enjoy better support for the arch of the foot, the Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker is perfect for you.
It is the best men’s walking shoes for wide feet. Therefore, they are highly recommended if you spend long hours on your feet.
5. ASICS Women’s Gel-Contend 5 SL Walking Shoes
Comfort is assured if you go for the ASICS Women’s Gel-Contend 5, considering the sturdy rubber outsole and other special features it sports.
This pair is built to support and protect the feet as you perform your daily activities or when you go for a run; all these make it a superb pair of shoes, thanks to the full AMPLIFOAM midsole that provides cushioned comfort to the feet when on the motion.
Although designed to maintain durability at softer densities, it offers optimal flexibility and comfort for natural movement.
- The upper is made from synthetic leather, thus guaranteeing flexibility and durability
- An ORTHOLITE sock liner promotes responsiveness underfoot as well as manages moisture superbly
- Breathable mesh for free inflow and outflow of air
- Presence of an internal heel counter to improve stability
- The rearfoot GEL cushioning system improves bounce back and reduces midsole breakdown
- Midfoot cage, padded tongue, and collar offers structural support
- Lace-up closure for a custom and snug fit
- The HG10MM Heel Gradient reduces strain on the lower limbs by shifting the body mass forward
- Durable rubber outsole provides reliable and firm grip on all surfaces
- Needs a break-in period before your feet can become comfortable
- Lack of sufficient support in the arch area
- Users complained about a drop in the quality
The lightweight, flexible response of the cushioning of the ASICS Women’s Gel-Contend 5 SL Walking Shoes makes it one of the best walking shoes for wide flat feet.
It has excellent support devoid of the uncomfortable hard arch insert in most walking shoes.
6. Reebok Men’s Ridgerider 4.0 Leather Walking Shoe
Since 1895, Reebok has been making running and walking shoes that offer stability and comfort.
With mesh and synthetic underlays in the upper, your feet will enjoy strong support and flexibility, making it easy to conform to each foot shape and fit.
The low-cut design promotes quicker transitions and freedom of motion required during hikes, outdoor workouts, or when moving in moderate terrains.
Furthermore, the beautiful design and appealing look make it perfect for pairing with your athletic and casual wears.
- Use of EVA midsole for a responsive feel and cushioning with every step you take
- Leather underlays to support and cool down the foot during up and downhill movement
- Presence of dynamic lug pattern on a rubber outsole for durability and excellent traction on uneven surfaces
- The toe overlay offers additional protection
- Great and comfortable product at an affordable price
- Available in 3 colors with X-wide sizes for wide feet
- The stitching in the toe area comes apart after a few uses
- The toe box feels cramped
Even though the leather upper of the Reebok Men’s Ridgerider 4.0 is soft and lightweight, it is quite supportive and offers all the comfort your feet need.
With adequate width at the toe area to reduce cramping, it is worthy of consideration among the best walking shoes for wide feet.
7. Saucony Women’s ProGrid Integrity ST2 Walking Shoe
Do you desire a good fit in a walking shoe even with your wide feet? Check out the Saucony Women’s ProGrid Integrity ST2 walking shoes.
With its famous Forefoot Stretch Zone, you will get the fitness, durability, and cushioning you desire.
The PRO GRID Cushioning system, Compression-molded EVA, and HRC impact zone combine to keep your feet in comfort all day long.
You need not worry about stiffness and pain occasioned by an ill-fitting shoe after the day’s job.
- Neutral walkers enjoy more responsive cushioning because of the level of pronation control built into the shoe
- Full-grain leather upper with a padded tongue and collar for durability
- Use of ProGrid cushioning with Response-tek technology to absorb impact and dispel shock while offering a smooth heel-toe transition
- The CMEVA midsole gives you durable, lightweight, and responsive cushioning also
- Presence of Forefoot HRC EVA/rubber compound for maximum shock absorption and added cushioning through the gait cycle
- Enjoy enhanced cushioning and stability from the Rearfoot GRID system interwoven with HYTREL; this feature centers the heel on impact
- Lightweight and flexible non-marking carbon rubber outsole promotes durability, more cushioning, and traction
- The Walk Trac design on the forefoot of the outsole helps you deliver a smooth transition
- The leather stretches from its original shape after a few uses
- Some users complained of slipping on wet floors
- Poor quality control leading to some customers receiving used products in their package
The heel support and cushioning of the Saucony Women’s ProGrid Integrity ST2 Walking Shoe keeps you walking non-stop for hours, thanks to the amount of impact protection provided with compressing materials between the foot and walking surfaces.
8. Rockport Men’s Eureka Walking Shoe
From inception in 1971, Rockport has set the pace, becoming the first to use advanced athletic technologies to achieve walking and lightweight comfort in casual shoes.
No wonder the San Crispino construction, built for heel stability, and Strobel construction, added for forefoot flexibility and augmented cushioning makes this pair a leader in the shoe market.
It’s got a generous collar and tongue padding, nubuck upper, as well as removable footbed, ensuring that there is no compromise on quality, so your feet remain well-kitted all-day.
Compared to others in the best walking shoes for wide flat feet category, the soles have a better grip to keep your feet safe from falls.
- Use of steel shank reinforcement in the arch area for midfoot support
- Padded collar and tongue offer cushioning, comfort, and also reduces irritation during walks
- Removable latex footbed gives flexible, lightweight impact absorption
- Rubber outsole provides superior traction and enhances the durability
- Presence of breathable knit mesh lining that is moisture-wicking to keep the foot fresh, dry, and odor-free
- Use of Moc-toe design
- Lace-up frontal for a custom and snug fit
- Available in 3 colors, as well as wide and X-wide sizes also
- The sole separates from the rest of the shoe after some uses
- Poor quality control
The Rockport Men’s Eureka Walking Shoe also has a broad base of support for stability on all surfaces. This feature ensures the feet remain comfortable always, no matter the foot condition.
However, the manufacturers can still improve on its quality and durability so it can further compete favorably with others in the best walking shoes category.
9. SAS Women’s, Walk Easy Walking Shoe
The innovative and stylish design of the SAS Women Walk Easy will make your feet feel better than it looks.
With the S-Motion and TRIPAD Technology in it, your feet will be well-supported on motion just as the soft, lightweight sole also helps with relieving pressure.
If you have a wide flat foot, do not worry, the Foot-Shape Last construction is designed to mold and move with the natural shape of your foot to keep you in comfort.
This casual yet versatile walking shoe with a unique sole design will help you move freely and comfortably.
- Premium leather uppers with detailed stitching and perforations
- Removable and odor-resistance SAS Tripad Cushion comfort in the inside ball, outside ball, and heel of the feet for all-day support
- Use of Contoured Everbounce removable PU footbed supports and cushions the contours of your foot with each step
- The S-Motion Technology in the Supersoft lightweight sole reinforces the natural stride of the three-part walking motion
- It has an adjustable lace-up closure for a snug and secure fit
- Lightly cushioned tongue and collar for added structural support
- The Easy Walk Supersoft Lightweight outsole with more extensive base gives extra stability and optimal shock absorption
- Medicare and Diabetic approved
- Made in the USA
- Toe box area is stiff
- An expensive product
SAS Women’s Walk Easy Walking Shoe offers reliable support if you have varicose veins and sciatic nerve issues, thereby relieving your feet of numbness, soreness, and pain even if worn for long hours.
10. Vionic Women’s Walker
Are you searching for walking shoes designed with orthopedic features to enhance your comfort during workouts at the gym or long active walks?
The Vionic Women’s Walker is a podiatrist delight sporting features such as a removable biomechanical orthotic with arch support and heel cup for foot functionality.
These features are useful in relieving pains in the arch, heel, knee, back, and plantar fasciitis, which is necessary to keep you moving in great comfort.
Your comfort is guaranteed, thanks to the Orthaheel technology that provides a solid foundation and secure fit for the foot.
- The upper is made from 100% breathable polyester mesh lining and full-grain water-resistant leather.
- Padded collar around the ankle with action lacing system for a secured fit and extra comfort
- A 50 built-in elevation in the EVA midsole helps ensure a smooth transition from heel strike to toe-off
- Presence of a firm thermoplastic heel counter for extra stability in the heel area
- Durable rubber outsole with excellent traction for optimal footing
- Breathable polyester mesh for free inflow and outflow of air to keep moisture away
- Presence of the Tri-Planar Motion Control system for pronation control
- An antimicrobial EcoFresh top cover helps to control foot odor
- Accepted by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA)
- The underside of the shoe in the toe area wears out quickly
- It requires a break-in period
The in-built orthotic support of the Vionic Women’s Walker helps improve the overall posture and body alignment, thus keeping painful foot conditions at bay.
Consideration While Buying Walking Shoes for Wide Feet
The following guide will help you when shopping to find the perfect shoe for your wide feet.
Size & Fit
To get the best out of your new pair of shoes, it is imperative to consider your feet’ shape and size before making a purchase.
You should buy a pair that will conform to the shape of your feet to avoid putting yourself in a painful condition such as calluses or blisters.
If you have wide feet, it is also best to discover your arch type – if it is low arched or flat feet.
Note that the perfect size will accommodate your arch type, thus saving your feet from stress occasioned by overpronation.
To get the best fit, you should consider more full-width sizes.
To be comfortable in the best walking shoes for wide flat feet, every part of the shoe, including the upper, midsole, cushioned footbed, and outsole, must be flexible and easily conform to the shape of your feet.
The walking shoe of your choice must offer stability, which will help align your body correctly.
Part of your options to stay comfortable will be choosing shoes with square-shaped or round toe boxes instead of narrow or pointy styles.
Also, ensure the upper and lining materials are stretchy enough to accommodate and fit the shape of your foot.
No matter how many hours you spend on your feet, the right shoe should give you the support required to remain comfortable.
To keep your feet in comfort, you should opt for shoes with durable, flexible, and fuller sole for stability.
Doing so will help reduce the stress and shock you expose your feet to while walking.
The ideal shoe should also make firm contact with the ground and have treads or grooves to provide maximum traction on all surfaces.
To enjoy your new walking shoes for wide feet, choose foam, air, or gel midsole variants to support and cushion your foot and arch.
Either of the above will help reduce impact when you strike your feet on the ground when walking.
Another great idea is to look for shoes with removable insoles and linings that you can remove and re-insert to make your feet more comfortable whenever you need to stretch your toes.
Roomy toe box
To get value out of your walking shoes if you have wide feet, go for the one with a roomy toe box to create space for the toes.
A roomy and round toe box will save your feet from being constricted, leading to calluses.
However, ensure you try it on to get a more relaxed and comfortable fit in the toe area and midfoot before committing.
It is best to avoid shoes with slip-on, as such will push your feet forward and cramp up the toe box.
Do note that every part of the brand you choose should be expandable to conform to your feet because having enough wiggle room for your toes is very important.
The best walking shoe for wide flat feet lacking the right support will cause you pain, discomfort, and aggravate any existing foot condition.
Your perfect choice must have the right arch support, which varies for each foot type and shape.
A walking shoe with the right support keeps your feet, ankles, knees, and back comfortable.
The right internal and external support in the form of cushioning will take the pressure off your feet and keep it stable all-day.
With the right support for your feet, you will have minimal issues to deal with after spending so many hours on your feet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Why do you need special shoes for wide feet?
A. Since a change in weight, pre-existing medical conditions, pregnancy, and aging do change the size and width of the feet. It is imperative to buy a pair of shoes that will keep you comfortable both in the width and length areas.
Not all the shoes on the shelf will fit each foot alike, so you need to find the perfect one that will suit your foot’s shape.
You have to consider the toe span, heel, and entire foot by opting for shoes with a wide width that sport features meant to accommodate every part of the foot.
Wearing the wrong walking shoes will cause your feet to spill over the side of the sole, which won’t be comfortable if you have swollen foot or other foot conditions such as diabetes.
Q. Why is a wider shoe base substantial?
A. Since many of the shoes on sale are designed majorly with a one-size-fits-all consideration, you will have difficulties understanding what suits you if you have wide feet.
Most shoe manufacturers use a broader base and ‘Last’ to create shoes for wide feet.
Since the Last mimics the shape of the human foot, it serves as a guide in creating a shoe that will help a wider than average foot achieves a perfect fit.
You will discover most of the sizes for wide feet in wide and X-wide sections in the stalls or online. These shoes have a roomier midfoot and toe-box.
Q. How can you adjust a wide shoe?
A. For people with wide feet, it is important to find shoes that give room for adjustability.
If your shoe is adjustable, getting a customized one will no longer be an issue even if your feet’ shape and size are different.
As such, you should opt for shoes with a closure system such as Velcro or laces, whereby you can adjust the width to your fit.
Most of the best walking shoes for wide feet can be adjusted by tightening or loosening in the ankle, midfoot, and toe box areas for your convenience and comfort.
Q. What are the best materials for making shoes for wide feet?
A. Although it may seem like a difficult task to get a pair of shoes that will snug tight to your feet, knowing the right features to look for when shopping simplifies the whole process.
A significant feature you should not overlook is the type of material used in the manufacturing process.
In effect, go for soft leather, mesh, suede, or denim that can stretch and conform to your feet as you move, thus improving your posture.
Wearing shoes made with durable, flexible, and breathable materials will boost your confidence and give your feet the comfort it deserves.
Q. Where can you find wide and extra wide shoes?
A. Considering the brands reviewed above, you will discover it is easy to shop for shoes for wide feet.
All the brands have wide and extra-wide sizes that you can order online if you know your correct size. Otherwise, you can visit any of their physical stores where a professional fitter can assist you.
You can also try them on after receiving your orders at home and return if they do not fit properly.
Furthermore, there are lots of reviews from users that will help you access the quality and durability of each brand before you choose.
Finding a quality walking shoe for wide feet might seem difficult at first, but with a few steps in the right direction, you will find the brand that suits your feet’ shape and size.
Whether New Balance, Skechers, Ryka, Brooks, ASICS, Ridgerider, Saucony, Rockport, SAS, or Vionic, you’ll find models with customized features for wide and extra-wide sizes.
This includes, but not limited to, the upper, breathable lining, padded midsole, cushioned footbed, and patterned or treaded outsole with a wide base.
Do not allow pregnancy, old age, foot condition, or that extra weight you have added during the lockdown period to stop you from taking a walk-in style.
As you can see, the ten variants of walking shoes reviewed possess top-notch comfort features; you need not fret again, no matter the number of hours you spend on your feet.