Running is tasking on the body! Running on concrete is even harder.
Putting on a wrong pair of shoes when running on concrete will cause you a lot of harm, extract more energy, and put intense strain on your body and joints.
Interestingly, you’re not the only one facing this type of challenge. Many people do not know how much stress their body goes through when running with the wrong kind of shoes.
This is mostly because they cannot differentiate the types of running shoes from which to pick the ones suitable for running on concrete surfaces.
We are here to help you solve this challenge by presenting an in-depth analysis of the 10 Best Shoes for running on concrete in 2021.
Top on the table is the ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe with features that promote weight distribution and simultaneously keeps your feet comfortable on concrete.
Let’s read on to know more about other brands that will serve the same purpose and help you keep smashing your running goals.
Similar Read: What are the best shoes for walking on concrete all day?
Best Shoes for Running on Concrete
|ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|adidas Women's Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoe||Check Price||Textile||Rubber|
|HOKA ONE ONE Mens Bondi 6 Running Shoe||Check Price||Leather||Synthetic|
|Reebok Men's Floatride Run Fast Shoe||Check Price||Textile and Synthetic||Rubber|
|Brooks Mens Adrenaline GTS 20 Running Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic and Mesh||Rubber|
|New Balance Women's 1080v9 Running Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Saucony Women's Cohesion 10 Running Shoe||Check Price||Mesh||Rubber|
|adidas Men's Adizero Boston 8 Running Shoe||Check Price||Textile||Synthetic|
|Salomon Women's Speedcross 4 W Running Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Skechers Go Run Razor 3||Check Price||Mesh||Rubber|
1. ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe
The ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running shoe features a sturdy synthetic upper and a stitched-down toe bumper for minimizing the impact of shocks on the joints of the body when running on concrete.
This feature provides toe protection and extra ruggedness to protect the heel and the foot when making contact with the concrete floor.
Whether you have Under or Neutral Pronation, this pair is one of the best shoes for running on concrete in that it promotes an even distribution of body weight and keeps your feet comfortable.
It has the right amount of cushioning and does not feel bulky on the feet, thus eliminating fatigue.
- Presence of Rearfoot Gel technology for shock absorption and smooth transition to midstance
- AHAR outsole in critical areas of the outsole for superior durability
- Multi-directional lugs on the outsole for added traction and excellent grip on flat surfaces uphill or downhill
- Removable outsole enables you to use custom orthotic when necessary
- The full sole platform offers sturdy support and stability when running or walking on countryside terrain or concrete
- Available in 25 colors of different sizes
- Affordable price for its quality
- Inadequate quality control
- They are not waterproof
- The stitches and sole fall apart with time
The ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe has features that make it suitable for walking, biking, and hiking.
While it may be tight on your feet at first, you’ll experience a better fit once fully broken in.
2. adidas Women’s Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoe
Women find the Adidas Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoe very comfortable because of the feminine design, secure fit, and excellent support.
With a feet-hugging knit upper and ultra-soft midsole cushioning, your feet will be as light as a feather on the motion.
If you are a lightweight runner, you’ll enjoy the shoes’ feel and flexibility, which will further spur you even when running on a concrete surface.
- Made with a knit textile upper and a round toe design for optimal flexibility in the toe box area
- Lace-up styling for a snug and secure fit
- Cloud foam memory sock liner
- Textile lining with memory foam comfort footbed for enhanced cushioning
- Durable traction outsole for a firm grip on all surfaces
- Adidas’ signature 3 stripes on the side panel for easy identification
- Available in four colors and true to size
- Not suitable for heavy running
- The sole creases in the middle after a couple of wear
- The thin sole with minimum support makes you feel pain when you step on rocks or stones
- You’ll surely enjoy the Adidas Women’s Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoe’s slip-on convenience because you don’t need to undo the laces to get it on or off your feet.
- The best women’s running shoes for concrete are breathable, functional, and versatile. This pair is one of them.
You’ll surely enjoy the Adidas Women’s Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoe’s slip-on convenience because you don’t need to undo the laces to get it on or off your feet.
The best women’s running shoes for concrete are breathable, functional, and versatile. This pair is one of them.
3. HOKA ONE ONE Mens Bondi 6 Running Shoe
HOKA ONE ONE Men’s Bondi 6 Running Shoe comes with a full-length compression-molded EVA foam midsole for optimal comfort and offers the most cushioning on the road.
Whether you are running daily or on your feet all day, the refined META-Rocker technology will help you stride forward with ease, delivering a consistent stride on concrete.
You’ll enjoy excellent breathability, thanks to the open-engineered mesh upper. This design will keep your feet cool, dry, and comfortable in hot weather.
- The internal heel counter offers locked-in fit and support
- Redesigned rubber outsole that is lighter than ever optimizes durability and is slip-free
- A beveled heel promotes smooth transition and increases durability
- The Meta-Rocker technology offers a unique midsole shape, low heel-to-toe drop, and HOKA cushioning that guarantees a rolling forward feel
- The wider forefoot and roomy toe box allow for a comfortable toe splay, especially for fuller feet
- Available in 21 eye-catching colors to match your mood and wardrobe
- Thick foam midsole allows for maximal cushioning for shock absorption on concrete without feeling clunky on the feet
- Use of Lycra comfort frame to hug your ankle and prevent slippage or wobbling
- An expensive brand
- The lower part of the shoe detaches from the sole after some time
For a perfect fit in your HOKA ONE ONE Men’s Bondi 6 Running Shoe, it is advisable to order a size up from your exact size.
Overall, it is a comfortable, well-cushioned, versatile, and well-ventilated running shoe that will serve you well and keep your feet pain-free.
4. Reebok Men’s Floatride Run Fast Shoe
Are you searching for a stable, supportive, and lightweight pair of shoes with all the features required to keep your feet comfortable on concrete floors?
Look no further than the Reebok Men’s Floatride Run Fast Shoe specifically built for speed and comfort.
The float ride foam technology brings responsiveness to your movements by offering support throughout the gait cycle.
It also reduces friction and irritation that might slow you down.
- Upper made with mesh for enhanced ventilation, sturdiness, and durability
- Use of stabilizing EVA foam rim centers balances your foot through a gait cycle
- The supportive and contoured 3D heel cradle eliminates heel irritation
- Rippled rubber outsole for traction and excellent grip
- You can swap removable insole to get a more customized fit
- Presence of cushioned sole for comfort and reduction of sloppiness
- Perfect for long-distance, short, slow, or fast runs
- Exceptional quality at an affordable price
- The mid support rims of the shoe causes hot spots of the ball of the foot
- The tread on the heels wears down fast
- It has a narrow fit due to the snug toe box
The Reebok Men’s Floatride Run Fast Shoe offers great cushioned heel support while running, and it is comfortable straight out of the box.
With a lightweight, high toe spring, and the close-to-the-ground feel it projects, it is no surprise it made the list of best shoes for running on concrete.
5. Brooks Mens Adrenaline GTS 20 Running Shoe
Brooks Men’s Adrenaline GTS 20 Running Shoe gives your feet a cushioned experience, thanks to its protective and soft feel.
The soft nature is helpful as you take each step, whether on a treadmill, road walk, or long-distance running.
It adds extra speed to your stride, giving you a fast, lightweight, flexible, springy, and responsive experience.
The Brooks holistic GuideRails support system keeps excess movement in check.
If you want a running shoe with a low-profile look and streamlined, modernized design, this pair is a perfect option.
- Use of a lightweight mesh upper for breathability, comfort, and protection against foot fatigue
- High energizing cushioning offers
- Presence of an adjustable, asymmetrical midfoot saddle to help create a customizable and secure fit
- The removable molded foam insole promotes light underfoot cushioning
- BioMoGo DNA and DNA Loft midsole cushioning create optimal underfoot support and softness with high responsiveness and durability
- The Progressive Diagonal Rollbar tri-density midsole and full-length crash pad promotes progressive pronation control and a smooth transition throughout the gait cycle
- Enjoy its HPR Plus long-lasting durability in high-wear areas of the outsole
- The Flextra rubber piece in the outsole gives a diverse grade of support which corresponds with weight and gender for optimal flexibility
- Not enough cushioning in the front part of the shoe
- The upper part detaches from the sole after some time
The Brooks Men’s Adrenaline GTS 20 Running Shoe ensures that you receive the right support, stability, and high energizing cushioning ideal for plantar fasciitis, flat feet, or overpronation.
6. New Balance Women’s 1080v9 Running Shoe
New Balance has been able to create a product with unmatched comfort in the New Balance Women’s 1080v9 Fresh Foam Running Shoe. Their ever continuous research and development are paying off.
The end-product of this R&D effort is seen in one of the best women’s running shoes for concrete. This pair has got a full-length Fresh Foam midsole and a premium double jacquard upper.
With features designed to fit, you’ll be at your best when running at a stretch on concrete sidewalks.
The lace-up closure, plush tongue and collar, blown rubber outsole, removable foam insole, and smooth fabric lining will make your feet receive the comfort, support, and stability needed on all kinds of surfaces.
- The no-sew upper feature reduces irritation since it is chafe-free
- Breathable mesh, textile and synthetic upper materials infused for added flexibility, durability and a stretchable structure
- Use of bootie construction with external midfoot overlays for a snug and secure fit
- The full-length Fresh Foam midsole offers lightweight cushioning needed for natural strides on an unforgiving pavement
- Ortholite premium footbed delivers arch support and excellent cushioning
- Presence of outsole flex grooves enables the foot to move freely
- Use of Ultra Heel to provide plushness around the heel
- Lack of ankle support
- An expensive brand for its quality
Many users attest to the excellence that is New Balance Women’s 1080v9; it is a perfect choice for anyone in need of a wide toe box, thick cushioning, and supportive soles.
7. Saucony Women’s Cohesion 10 Running Shoe
From inception, Saucony shoes have been sporting the excellent feel, fit, and performance required to help runners stay focused on running – and nothing else.
Saucony Women’s Cohesion 10 Running Shoe is a top model with great flexibility, cushioning, and comfort to help you attain your running goals.
The use of advanced technologies like the GRID, which is a sole-based cushioning and stability system, gives it an edge over other running shoes in its category.
The mesh upper promotes optimal ventilation required to stay dry and comfortable during a long-distance race on a hot day.
- A perfect running shoe for Under or Neutral Pronation in need of optimal support
- The heel GRID system effectively integrates stability and cushioning
- Enjoy underfoot comfort and responsiveness, thanks to the injection-molded EVA midsole
- Use of reflective elements to keep you visible in areas with low lighting
- Removable foam insole promotes the use of custom orthotics
- Presence of carbon-rubber and flex groove on the outsole for improved durability, a high degree of traction, shock absorption, and abrasion-resistance
- The plush tongue, collar, textile lining, and insole are well padded for extra comfort and all-day use
- Available in 13 colors of different sizes
- The insole feels less contoured
- Users complained of a noticeable change in the way it usually feels on the feet
- Poor quality control
The Saucony Women’s Cohesion 10 Running Shoe is ideal for a wide forefoot, narrow heel, and high arch. It is made for comfort and durability.
8. adidas Men’s Adizero Boston 8 Running Shoe
Whenever you desire a lightweight running shoe with adaptive cushioning, turn to the Adidas Men’s Adizero Boston 8.
Made specifically for distance and speed, it sports a responsive cushioning that works well with a flexible stretch-web rubber outsole perfect for an energized ride.
The stability rail will guide your stride, while the engineered mesh upper and midfoot lockdown helps you get a secure fit needed for a smooth run.
If you want to experience a firmer, more to-the-ground feel with underfoot suppleness, this pair is a perfect option.
- Use of the slightly more extensive Adizero training Last with a more accommodating forefoot for a relaxed fit
- The torsion system underfoot offers a faster heel-to-toe transition
- Enjoy all-temperature breathability, guaranteed by the simplified upper design and light engineered mesh with internal reinforcements
- Use of a redesigned bottom tooling to get higher responsiveness and increased traction
- Presence of BOOST temperature-independent cushioning for energy return and maximum comfort
- The continental rubber outsole delivers excellent traction in all weather conditions
- Available in 5 colors of all sizes
- The production quality of some orders is low
- It requires a break-in period
The Adidas Men’s Adizero Boston 8 Running Shoe is a mix of excellent cushioning and rugged firmness, making it ideal for easy runs, long tempo workouts, and longer runs.
Despite the thickness of the upper, it does not irritate while running due to the wider toe box and shock absorption features.
9. Salomon Women’s Speedcross 4 W Running Shoe
For over 60 years, Salomon has been producing performance-driven running shoes for all terrains.
The Women’s Speedcross 4 W Trail Running Shoe is not an exception. Its highly cushioned, lightweight, and a firm grip on soft trails and concrete surfaces makes it stand out.
Its close-to-foot Sensifit design will envelop and cradle your feet to get a comfortable and precise fit. This action reduces foot slippage significantly.
Also, the lower silhouette allows for more freedom of movement in the ankle area.
- Use of anti-debris mesh upper with a water-resistant synthetic leather overlay which cradles the feet for a flexible and supportive fit
- Dual-density EVA padding in the midsole for cushioning, stability, and excellent rebound
- A minimalistic quick-lacing system promotes a customized and secure fit
- Use of synthetic mesh lining that wick moisture away from the feet
- Presence of protective toe caps to guard against bumps and abrasions
- The removable ortholite footbed helps with shock absorption and provides an antimicrobial treatment that keeps odor away
- Contagrip TA rubber compound in the outsole delivers optimal traction, adhesion and a firm grip on all surfaces due to the deep sharp lugs on it
- Addition of lace pocket for keeping the lacing system away from snagging on objects
- You will enjoy the quick-dry capability of the Salomon Women’s Speedcross 4 W Trail Running Shoe if you run through wet areas a lot.
You will enjoy the quick-dry capability of the Salomon Women’s Speedcross 4 W Trail Running Shoe if you run through wet areas a lot.
10. Skechers Go Run Razor 3
The Skechers Go Run Razor 3 is built on a foundation of comfortability, stylishness, innovation, and advanced technology to make you feel good.
The lighter midsole with added cushioning is quite responsive and offers more protection and speed needed on concrete surfaces.
The upper is made with lighter, thinner, and more comfortable materials, while the outsole is made thicker to enhance its durability.
Find also: The 10 Most Durable Shoes Out Now
- Use of a durable translucent ripstop mesh upper for proper ventilation and maximum support
- The HYPER BURST cushioning midsole is long-lasting, highly responsive, and ultra-lightweight
- A strategically-placed rubber outsole offers optimal traction and durability
- Presence of molded heel counter for a stable and secure fit
- The mid-foot strike zone delivers efficiency as you take each stride
- Enjoy a pressure-reducing speed lacing system with weightless reinforced eyelets
- Available in men and women sizes at an affordable price
- If you love a firm midsole, the soft midsole will be uncomfortable for you
- Sizes run small; it’s advisable to order a size up
- Some users complained of the toe box feeling tight and uncomfortable
The Skechers Go Run Razor 3 is a versatile, lightweight pair of shoes that will serve you well during long-distance runs and daily training, thanks to its exceptional cushioning and stability.
You will have a pleasurable experience because it is one of the best shoes for running on concrete.
Safety Tips for Running on Concrete
Crushing miles after miles of concrete surfaces will take some toll on your feet after some time, causing your feet to be susceptible to the following:
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Shin Splints
- Patellofemoral pain
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Runner’s knee
- Athletics Tendonitis
As such, before commencing frequent running sessions, you need to put yourself through strength training exercises to toughen up your muscles.
To reduce the impact of hard, uneven surfaces on your feet, you should always wear the right type and quality of running shoes.
Doing this will reduce the impact and amount of shock absorbed by your joint through your feet.
Also, ensure you understand how to do the warm-up and cool-down routine by engaging in stretching exercises to save yourself from muscle injuries.
Aside from this, you should start your run more gently before increasing your speed, and eventually, the distance to be covered.
Lastly, always change your shoes after putting about 310 miles on it. Try to vary the terrain you run on frequently.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Shoes for Running on Concrete
Knowing the essential features required in running shoes for concrete will help you make a better decision when shopping for your next pair of shoes.
The following should not be compromised for anything:
Comfort is crucial to staying safe on concrete surfaces, whether when running or walking.
Your choice of the shoe should keep your feet comfortable; thus, they must be flexible, light, and able to help stabilize or cushion the feet as you take each stride.
To stay comfortable throughout your runs, you should avoid buying the wrong shoe size to make you prone to blisters and swollen feet.
It is essential to try on your shoes and walk around a bit to ensure they conform to your foot type and shape before setting out.
If you frequently run on concrete, you should know your level of pronation, so you’ll get running shoes that will give your feet the necessary support needed to stay comfortable.
To achieve the right surface contact and smooth transition, your brand of choice should also reduce excess movement.
Before deciding on your support level, you should also consider the distance you intend covering while running, your body weight, and heel height.
Having these features in your final choice will help you enjoy a smooth run that positively impacts your feet.
In any case, you can choose between neutral, stability, or motion control running shoes.
Having ample cushioning in your running shoes will provide comfort and also protect the joints in your body.
Your type of running will also influence the level of cushioning that you’ll opt for (lightweight, moderate, extensive, or maximum cushioning).
Ample cushioning will help with safety on the hard floor, given that it helps with shock absorption.
The right cushioning is equally important if your feet underpronate., considering that cushioning helps mimic the natural process in the gait cycle.
The outsole on a shoe for running on concrete should have an exceptional grip to keep you safe always.
Wearing the wrong sole will lead to sliding around and thus increase your risk of exposure to soft tissue injury.
Most running shoes for concrete have a flat sole that helps in creating a consistent surface when running on paved roads.
A minimal heel-to-toe drop helps improve the stability and motion needed to get optimal traction on concrete floors.
Breathable & Durability
The materials of your running shoes should be breathable to promote the free flow of air, thus keeping odor away and preventing bacterial buildup.
Proper ventilation will further enhance your shoe’s durability, saving you from spending money changing your shoes too often.
To get a brand that will give you value, invest in a pair made with high-quality materials that can withstand the frequency of use and the surface it will be exposed to.
Apart from excellent support and comfort, your best running shoes for running on concrete must be breathable and durable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Why shoes for running on concrete?
A. Although you may think that you can wear any running shoes on all surfaces, including concrete, not all shoes are recommended for such purposes.
There are different running shoes for each surface type you’ll be running on, such as a forest trail, grassland, loose ground, professional tracks, asphalt, concrete, etc.
You need to pick a pair of running shoes that are made to suit the particular surface you will be running on to avoid exposing your feet to injuries from slips and falls.
When you are running on a concrete surface, there are some essential features your shoe should possess to allow you to enjoy your runs without injuring your feet.
Q. Why is the weight of the runner significant?
A. Your weight has a direct impact on how long you will be able to use your shoes.
Runners with more weight tend to wear down their shoes faster than those with average weight.
When making your selection, you should consider a pair of shoes that will properly handle your weight without breaking down or getting damaged fast.
Q. How do you know the best fit for your running shoes?
A. No matter the kinds of features you have in your running shoes, if they do not fit properly, the shoe will not fulfill its purpose, since it will affect how flexible the shoe can be.
Having a wide fit promotes a more comfortable feel and freedom of movement, while a tighter fit enables you to have more control, especially when going uphill or downhill.
Your best option is to go for a professional fitting session to determine your right size, understand your foot shape, level of pronation, etc.
Doing so will save your feet from developing any form of foot condition owing to wrong sizing.
Q. How often should you change your running shoes?
A. Every shoe has a lifespan owing to wear and tear from usage occurring over time, especially the support and cushioning sections.
Depending on the frequency of use and the terrain you wear your shoe, you should always replace your running shoes, given that it is cheaper to replace a worn-out shoe that incurring expenses nursing foot injuries.
If you have put in over 310-495klm on your shoes, it is due for a replacement.
Likewise, if you are a heavy runner who runs more on concrete, your shoe will wear out faster due to the additional stress.
But then, it is advisable to have more than a pair of quality running shoes.
Q. How important is your running style to your choice of running shoe?
A. Your running style also plays a significant role in choosing a suitable shoe for running on concrete.
Whether you are a backfoot, midfoot, or forefoot runner, you need to choose the right shoe that will help you get the best out of your running time without causing pain to your feet occasioned by your type of foot strike.
If you want running on concrete surfaces to be part of your fitness goals for a long time, it’s best to invest in a quality pair of running shoes that will keep you comfortable.
You can enjoy soft and smooth strides devoid of pains if you stick to any of the brands that have been reviewed above.
These brands have features designed to support your feet and keep them in comfort at all times.
You’ll discover that the cushioning, outsoles, upper, and midsoles are made from durable and flexible materials to meet your need for speed and mileage.
Depending on your budget, the purpose for running, and preference, you will find a perfect running shoe for running on concrete among those mentioned above.
Whether you are shopping from the comfort of your home or going to a store, you have this guide to make it an easy task.
Get shopping! Get running!