If you work 10-12 feet off the ground (or on multi-story buildings) in various weather conditions, you should protect yourself from head to toe to prevent an accident.
Being a roofer exposes you to risk from a misstep occasioned by improper balancing, or a slight slip while trying to make a living.
How then do you protect yourself from the hazards of your job?
Wear the right footwear!
How do you know the right footwear that will keep you safe and keep stress off your feet?
Market research on the 8 Best Shoes for Roofing of 2020 has shown the major features you need to have in your shoes to prevent you from slipping off and injuring yourself.
The Thorogood Men’s American Heritage 6″ Moc Toe Boot outshone others thanks to the superior comfort and support it provides the feet.
Read on to find out more about other shoes for roofing that is also in its league: rough, rugged, and durable boots sure to meet your needs!
Best Shoes for Roofing
|Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot||Leather||Leather||Check Price|
|Reebok Men's Crossfit Nano 8.0 Flexweave Sneaker||Synthetic||Rubber||Check Price|
|Timberland PRO Men's Powertrain Sport Alloy-Toe Shoe||Leather||Wedge||Check Price|
|Danner Men’s Bull Run 6” Work Boot||Cotton||Synthetic||Check Price|
|Reebok Work Men's Athletic Oxford Industrial Shoe||Leather||Rubber||Check Price|
|Skechers for Work Men's Felton Slip Resistant Work Shoe||Synthetic||Rubber||Check Price|
|Wolverine Men's Overpass 6" Composite Toe Boot||Leather and Textile||Rubber||Check Price|
|Merrell Men's Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe||Leather||Synthetic||Check Price|
1. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage 6″ Moc Toe Boot
If you need a roofing shoe built to last, the Men’s American Heritage from Thorogood fits in perfectly for that role.
Since 1892, the MAXwear wedge safety toe boot has been offering durability and superior comfort.
These boots are essential to get the job done, whether you are a roof builder, carpenter, or boilermaker.
The outsoles are designed to keep you safe when climbing ladders or standing on an uneven surface.
- Use of removable ultimate shock absorption footbed comfort cushion insole for optimal comfort
- Goodyear storm welt construction for enhanced durability
- Tobacco Oil-Tanned full-grain waterproof leather promotes breathability
- Presence of steel toe protection to protect against injury from heavy objects
- Use of MAXWear wedge slip-resistant outsole for a firm grip on a sloped roof
- Available in 2 colors of various sizes
- Excellent quality for its price
- Made in the USA
- An expensive brand
- Insufficient insulation for cold days
- Low-quality laces
- Thread on soles comes apart after a few uses
An interesting read: Top 10 Steel Toe Shoes of 2020
Thorogood Men’s American Heritage will serve you well, considering that it is a comfortable pair of boots specially made for roofing.
It is innovative and sports top-notch craftsmanship and leatherwork.
If you have plantar fasciitis, the cushioning offers excellent support and stability you require to stay comfortable all day.
2. Reebok Men’s Crossfit Nano 8.0 Flexweave Sneaker
Even though Reebok creates shoes for athletes, the innovation and quality of its products made it a favorite for roofers. This is due to the excellent grip of the CrossFit-specific outsole.
Putting on this pair, you are guaranteed optimal balance and stability from the crystallized rubber outsole.
It flexes naturally while the RopePro carbon rubber wraps the lateral side for extra protection.
The low-cut design promotes ankle mobility, thus enabling you to change direction quickly.
- Use of Flexweave Technology weave fibers to create a durable flexible upper that is breathable and comfortable to wear
- Presence of ‘toe-tection’ in the toe area for added durability when performing heavy-duty activities
- The new heel bootie construction offers the best performance and comfort
- It promotes powerful movements and comfortable fit thanks to its wide toe box and lace-up closure
- The 3600 TPU heel wrap also locks down the foot securely
- Use of removable ortholite sock liner promotes the use of custom orthotics
- The dual-density midsole and flex grooves offer comfort and flexibility in the forefoot
- The sizes run small; you should order a size up
- Some users complained of the ankle part being loose
- It is slippery on wet surfaces
Reebok Men’s Crossfit Nano 8.0 Flexweave Sneaker is undoubtedly among the best shoes for walking on a roof, given the comfort, support, and stability it offers for long hours.
Also, the comfortable fabric lining in the inner will give you a great in-shoe feel.
3. Timberland PRO Men’s Powertrain Sport Alloy-Toe Shoe
Tradespeople who want footwear that will help them perform optimally at their jobs prefer the Timberland PRO because it offers work-ready protection and lightweight performance.
The presence of Anti-Fatigue Technology in the outsole and ESD/EH protection in the powertrain sport Alloy-Toe gives complete comfort and safety.
This pair will help you to complete your task in good shape and leave you stress-free.
If you are stylish, the modern casual and low-profile design will rev-up your look anytime, any day.
- Use of alloy safety toe for lightweight protection
- Ripstop nylon and mutilation-free uppers for extended durability
- The cement construction allows for flexibility and reduces break-in time
- Availability of breathable mesh lining with anti-microbial treatment to control odor
- Presence of single-density polyurethane midsole to serve as electrical hazard resistance
- A fiberglass shank offers structural support
- Dual-density polyurethane supper-grippy outsoles are oil-resistant, heat-resistant, and abrasion-resistant
- Enjoy 30-day comfort guarantee
- Users complained of the sole splitting at the ball of the foot
- The quality and durability features do not match the price
The quality and workmanship of Timberland PRO Men’s make it appropriate for wearing at home in style and comfort.
You have four different colors to choose from to synchronize with your work attire or mood for the day.
4. Danner Men’s Bull Run 6” Work Boot
Danner Bull Run Moc Toe should be the first choice if you want to get the best shoes for metal roofing.
The quality of the finished product is top-notch because of the unlined full-grain leather uppers and wedge outsole.
Every part meets the standard required for comfortability when constructing a new roof.
It uses a well-oiled, rich leather that molds to the feet like a second skin, reducing the break-in time.
- Use of a water-resistant full-grain oiled leather upper for added strength and durability
- An unlined inner makes it lightweight, well-fitted, and comfortable in warmer temperatures
- Use of non-conductive electrical shock resistant soles and heels for electrical hazard protection
- Non-marking, oil-and slip-resistant outsole for optimal support, cushioning, and traction on all surfaces
- The stitch-down construction allows for increased stability underfoot
- Heel cushioning ortholite footbed for added support and comfort
- Access to recrafting services to extend the boot’s life, including leather care, re-stitching, and part replacement
- 365-day warranty on the purchase if not satisfied with the performance
- Made in the USA
- Not suitable for use on asphalt
- Users complained of issues in the tongue and toe box areas that rub raw on the feet causing blisters
- The arch and ankle support are not enough
Danner Men’s Bull Run Work Boot has a casual fit that does not compromise on the lace-to-toe construction, an essential feature for tackling jobs that seem tough, like roofing.
Find also: The 10 Best Shoes for Ankle Support of 2020
5. Reebok Work Men’s Athletic Oxford Industrial Shoe
Reebok is a brand committed to creating innovative footwear for hardworking professionals in the workplace, factory, and on-the-job sites.
No wonder the Work Men’s Athletic Oxford qualifies as one of the best shoes for roof work.
As a roofer, you want a pair of shoes that are flexible, lightweight, comfortable, fit, and promotes easy ankle mobility to enable you to stay safe when on duty.
The deep flex grooves and double sublite foam midsole helps reduce its weight, allowing for a greater range of movement and flexibility.
- The rubber pads in the slip-resistant outsole offer traction at heel strike and helps with forefoot takeoff
- Mesh upper and moisture-wicking nylon mesh lining promotes breathability and allows for moisture transfer to keep the foot fresh all-day
- Removable memory tech massage footbed that adapts to the distinctive contours of your foot while offering underfoot comfort and support
- The leather or mesh webbing and synthetic upper contribute to its durability
- Presence of sublite foam midsole for soft support and lightweight cushioning
- It does not require a break-in time
- ASTM F2413 and EH safety standard certified
- Narrow in the arch and toe box area if you have wide feet
- The cushioning on the insole does not offer the support needed for many hours of continued use
The protection, comfort, and low-cut, alloy-toe work design of the Reebok Work Men’s Athletic Oxford Industrial & Construction Shoe will give you the zeal to put in extra hours at work.
6. Skechers for Work Men’s Felton Slip Resistant Work Shoe
Even though Skechers is an award-winning global leader in the lifestyle footwear industry for trend-savvy wearers, it also produces utility style boots that offer support, comfort, and slip-resistance when working on a sloped roof.
The Felton from Skechers comes with a smooth faux leather synthetic upper with a lace-up sporty casual look and a relaxed fit design.
It allows getting a more comfortable and custom fit, with safety being a priority.
The protective synthetic toe bumper protects the feet from scrapes and sharp objects.
- Synthetic leather upper enhances breathability and keeps the feet dry
- A traditional lacing system for easy on and off
- Use of soft fabric lining for a more comfortable fit that conforms to the feet
- Presence of a removable insole with memory foam for all-day comfort, cushioning, and support
- The supportive midsole absorbs shock from impact
- Use of flexible nitrile rubber outsole to provide dependable traction and slip-resistance
- ASTM F2413-11 Electric Hazard and ASTM F1677-2005 Slip-resistant outsole safety standard certified
- Available in 2 colors of various sizes
- It requires time for break-in due to the stiffness
- Lots of users complained about its non-durability beyond a few months of use
7. Wolverine Men’s Overpass 6″ Composite Toe Boot
Among the best shoes for roof work, the Wolverine Men’s overpass is a fusion of innovative technologies, timeless craftsmanship, and quality materials.
It will deliver the comfort your feet need to keep you in top shape until you get the job done at your convenience.
The lightweight and thinner carbon max toe cap offer better fitting with a combination of motion max technologies.
You are set for maximum performance since the boot can bend and flex at essential points, a phenomenon attributed to the contour welt construction style.
- Waterproof breathable membrane with abrasion-resistant toe cap keeps your feet dry
- The contour welt technology offers ultimate comfort and flexibility
- Presence of lightweight rubber lug outsole with shock absorption to protect your feet
- Use of moisture-wicking mesh lining aids ventilation and keeps the feet cool
- Removable ortholite cushioning footbed molds perfectly to the foot with constant use
- Use of nylon shank for extra strength
- ATSM F2413-18 M 1/75 C/75 EH rated composite toe approved
- Enjoy Wolverine’s 30-day comfort guarantee
- Lack of quality control
- Most users complained of the soles splitting after some use
You will find the comfort and flexibility present in an athletic shoe also in Wolverine Men’s Overpass Composite Toe Waterproof Work Boot.
As a roofer, you will enjoy the durability and support that exudes from it when setting and nailing away on the rooftop.
This is because the rubber outsole is oil, water, abrasion, slip, and chemical-resistant. These features are guaranteed to keep you from falling or slipping when working on such surfaces.
8. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
Are you in need of versatility and comfort from the best shoes for walking on a roof? The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 will serve you well with its low-cut multisport design and rugged TC5+ outsole.
It features a suede leather and meshes upper that is waterproof and durable, alongside a cushioning midsole and contoured footbed that keeps your feet well-supported and comfortable all-day.
You will find the air cushion in the heel will help to reduce the stress you should feel as you take each step. This comfort is attributed to the cushioning, which absorbs shock and offers extra stability.
- Leather and mesh upper assist with ventilation, thus promoting breathability and durability no matter how long they are wrapped around your feet
- Vibram high-performance rubber outsole offers stability and traction on both wet and dry surfaces
- Use of Merrell M select fit ECO blended EVA contoured footbed with odor control to keep the feet fresh all-day
- Presence of antimicrobial agents that can prevent the build-up of odor-causing microbes
- Use of Bellows, closed-cell foam tongue to keep debris and moisture out
- Compression-molded EVA foot frame provides extra cushioning
- Protective rubber toe cap offers protection against objects that might fall on your foot at work
- Lace-up closure and heel pull loop help to achieve a custom fit and easy on and off
- The lace holes are incomplete, making it difficult to tighten the shoe properly
- Inadequate foam padding in the tongue area
Reviews have revealed that the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe has a zero-break-in period and excellent stability, making it a favorite choice.
Things to Consider Before Buying Shoes for Roofing
When you decide to order a new pair of roofing shoes, you should first check out the factors mentioned below.
You must ensure they tick the box a hundred percent before making a payment.
It is essential to ensure the shoes you will be putting on are well-constructed, given the intensity of roofing activities.
Having the right footwear will save you from the danger of working in adverse weather conditions. In other words, you should check that the materials used for the upper are mostly leather.
Leather products are durable, resilient, comfortable, and have moisture-wicking capabilities.
While synthetic, suede, and nylon uppers are also great due to better airflow. However, they are not as durable as full-grain leather.
You must opt for the best shoes for roof work that can withstand constant exposure to shingles, roofing materials, and tar.
Since roofing involves going high up in the sky, you wouldn’t want a work shoe that will weigh you down.
You need a pair of shoes that are lightweight and flexible so you can move easily without fear of slipping or hurting yourself.
By wearing lightweight roofing shoes, you reduce the chances of damaging roofing materials when on site.
If any of the best shoes for roof work do not have a firm grip, its entire purpose gets defeated in that you are exposing yourself to the risk of slipping from a considerable height.
Therefore, you should pay attention to the type of sole and the design that the brand offers.
These factors will determine if it has the necessary grip, footing, traction, and slip-resistance you require to be safe up on the roof.
Your best choice for a sole that will keep you from falling off the roof will be a flat rubber sole.
These types are flexible and will help improve stability and balance, features you need to change positions with ease.
The essence of wearing a pair of shoes specifically designed for roofing is to stay as comfortable as possible, considering the long hours you will spend engaging in physical and strenuous work.
A lot of the best shoes for roof work have the required cushioning and shank that gives optimal support to the feet, arch, ankle, and knee, while also absorbing impact from stress occasioned by the nature of the job.
Breathability is another feature that keeps your feet in comfort when working on a roof; a sweaty foot will make you uncomfortable and prone to slipping.
As a roofer, your priority should be staying safe always, so your work shoe must offer you that and much more.
When making your choice, ensure that they have the essential safety features to reduce your risk of slipping, to fall, and injuring yourself from a slight misstep.
Roofs, especially metal roofs, can be slippery in adverse weather conditions; as such, you always need the right protection!
Since roofs are made from wood, metal, or asphalt, and you will continuously get exposed to the harsh outdoor environment, you should buy a pair of shoes that can withstand abrasion.
Durability is vital when deciding on your brand of choice to ensure you don’t waste resources changing footwear within a short time.
This is why the best shoes for roofing are mostly made from full-grain leather that is top-quality and long-lasting.
Speaking of durable, check out our top 10 durable shoes review here!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Why do you need a special shoe for roofing?
A. Working on the roof exposes you to different types of risks.
It is vital to consider the number of hours spent climbing, standing, kneeling, walking, and lifting materials.
Being off the ground and, at the same time, handling work tools may cause you injuries if you are not wearing the proper shoes.
Putting on a specialized shoe for roofing will keep you comfortable, stable, balanced, and well-protected.
A proper roofing shoe will take the stress off your back, ankles, and feet and save you from developing foot conditions.
Q. What are the basic features of shoes for roofing?
A. For a shoe to qualify as part of the best shoes for roof work, it should have some specific features such as a high-quality sole with good tread design.
These types are made from durable rubber for maximum contact with the roof.
Also, an excellent shoe for roofing should have long-lasting uppers, electrical hazard resistance, custom fit with good laces, and weatherproof features.
Note that these shoes should also cause minimal damage to the roof you are constructing to avoid incurring extra expense.
Q. Is arch support needed in a roofing shoe?
A. The nature of roofing work requires spending long hours on your feet. Invariably, you need a shoe with adequate arch support. They will keep you safe and comfortable.
Ensure that your choice will prevent foot pain build-up, fallen arches, and discomfort.
These are common problems that develop when the feet are not well-supported.
As such, it is vital to check whether the brand or model of your choice has in-built cushioning, shank, padded instep, and supportive insole.
A good pair should be able to keep your feet in good shape for the manual task ahead.
Q. Is insulation important in a roofing shoe?
A. Well, seeing that roofing is an outdoor task that gets done under all forms of weather conditions, it must have the right type of insulation to protect your feet from cold and heat.
With proper insulation, your feet will remain comfortable no matter the amount of time you spend outdoors.
Q. What are the different types of roof you will be working on as a roofer?
A. Roofers work on different roofs made with diverse materials. Hence, they need to wear the right kind of footwear.
These surfaces include cedar roofing, asphalt roofing, and metal roofing.
Whereas Cedar roofing requires a shoe with sharp cleats to guarantee a secure grip, Asphalt roofing needs comfortable, durable, and slip-resistant shoes.
For Metal roofing, you need a roofing shoe with a lightweight rubber flat outsole because of the traction and grip on wet surfaces.
Knowing the right shoe for each type of roof will help you maximize your productivity and prevent accidents.
Considering the hazard roofers face on job sites daily, wearing the right footwear has become part of the crucial measures they need to adhere to so as to feel safe and secure on the job.
Having all the comfort and safety features in your shoe means you can look forward to having a great day at work without worrying about foot issues, especially if you have an underlying foot condition.
All you need do is study this review diligently and make a decision on any of the brands mentioned above in line with your budget.
Safety is a priority when it comes to roofing; you shouldn’t compromise on quality at the expense of your life.
Go for the best roofing shoes to guarantee your comfort and safety!
- Top 7 Long-Distance Walking Shoes
- Best Shoes for Walking on Ice: Gearing Up for the Winter
- The 10 Best Shoes for Warehouse Work