Some people indeed end their High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout with an injury, and this is common when they put on the wrong kind of shoes.
Such a situation is not only devastating but also demoralizing, especially knowing it can be avoidable.
How do you avoid this?
You need to own a pair or two shoes specifically suited to HIIT; such shoes will provide the comfort and stability you require during the session.
How do you know the best fit for your feet?
We have spent hours undertaking in-depth research and have come up with the 10 Best Shoes for HIIT of 2022. We do this to reduce any challenges you might encounter.
From our research, the adidas Men’s Powerlift 4 Shoe stands out from the others given its new shoe fit scale that makes it easy to get the perfect fit, alongside the innovative tech it sports.
The other nine are also not lacking, anyway; they have what it takes to be among the top contenders.
Let’s find out more below!
Similar Read: Excellent Aerobic Shoes for High Impact Workout
Best Shoes for Hiit
|adidas Men's Powerlift 4 Shoe||Check Price||Textile||Rubber|
|ALTRA Women's HIIT Xt Cross-Training Shoe||Check Price||Textile and Synthetic||Rubber|
|Reebok Women's HIIT Tr Cross Trainer||Check Price||Mesh||Rubber|
|PUMA Women's Tazon 6 WN's FM Cross-Trainer Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Inov-8 F-Lite 230 - Minimalist Cross Training Shoes||Check Price||Mesh||Rubber|
|Nike Men's Metcon 5 Training Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Under Armour Men's Charged Commit 2.0 Cross Trainer||Check Price||Synthetic||Rubber|
|Skechers Men's Equalizer 2.0 True Balance Sneaker||Check Price||Mesh and Leather||Rubber|
|NOBULL Men's High-Top Trainer||Check Price||Fabric||Rubber|
|New Balance Men's MX40V1 Gym Workouts Training Shoe||Check Price||Synthetic and Mesh||Rubber|
1. adidas Men’s Powerlift 4 Shoe
Since HIIT workout is a vigorous session of energy bursts within a short period, you need a pair of shoes that will enable you to respond quickly to each activity.
The Adidas Men’s Powerlift 4 is one of the best shoes for high-intensity interval training because it is lightweight, stable, and has a reactive heel.
It comes with a narrow fit, midsole wedge and a wide instep strap that keeps your feet wholly strap-down and stable, thus eliminating all forms of distractions during your workout sessions.
Its unique identifier is the iconic three stripes and Adidas logo embroidered on the tongue; these features ensure you do not end up with an imitation.
- Open forefoot and flexible toe design for enhanced breathability
- An ortholite foam insole offers underfoot cushioning
- Lace and touch close fastening for a snug and custom fit
- The upper is durable, made from a lightweight canvas for soft comfort and extra durability
- Presence of reinforced materials that surround the laces and midfoot
- The heel-loop makes it easy to put on and off without ruining the heel cup
- The stiffness of the shoes causes pain on the feet of some users after a workout session
- The toe box is narrow and makes some owners feel uncomfortable
Weightlifters/Powerlifters will also find the Adidas Men’s Powerlift 4 a perfect fit due to its reactive toe box and fast break-in period.
To get the best performance out of this shoe, it is essential to order true to size.
2. ALTRA Women’s HIIT Xt Cross-Training Shoe
The ALTRA Women’s XT 2 was specially designed for Crossfit and HIIT workouts considering the wrap-around, sticky rubber midsole that makes it perfect for climbing and lateral traction.
Other outstanding features include the removable insole that reduces the stack height to 18mm from 24mm, underfoot stitch ‘n’ turn-stitching, and a stylish, durable upper.
It allows you to enjoy a close-to-the-ground feel needed for stability and comfort, thanks to the in-built PowerSole technology activated during lateral movements.
The design will give you a fit, functional look, and feel.
- Flexible construction and updated lacing system promote a better running experience
- Use of a quick-dry air mesh and soft custom knit design for the upper to boost comfort and walking form
- The balanced cushioning allows you to place your forefoot and heel in a position that encourages low-impact form when running
- Foot-shaped toe box and fully cushioned zero drop platform enables the toes to relax in their natural position for more stability
- Use of Fit4Her technology to blend with the unique anatomy of the female foot
- Supportive and durable midsole and outsole for versatile use
- Perfect for HIIT, Crossfit, cross-training, gym-training, and light running
- It is narrow for a wide foot
- Poor quality control. Some users received used items
- Sizes run small; you can order a size up to get a comfortable fit
Although the ALTRA Women’s HIIT Xt Cross-Training Shoe requires a short break-in period due to its stiffer sole, they are more flexible and durable and offer a great workout experience.
3. Reebok Women’s HIIT Training Shoe
Since Reebok is a global brand with a long heritage in fitness, the Reebok Women’s HIIT Tr Cross Trainer is sure to excel during every workout type.
Since HIIT isn’t a walk in the park, this model has tech that gives you the versatility you need to break limits.
The dynamic outsole transmutes from lifts and lurches to a running mode quickly. It also sports a heightened midfoot cage that provides extra support to the feet to enable you to move fast.
You can easily keep up with the pace during burpees and squats, considering that the shoe supports the varied movements of HIIT.
- Use of a mesh upper with a pillow around the collar for a locked-in fit
- The flexible outsole offers reliable grip on slippery gym floors
- The cushioned outsole provides a firm grip when making sharp turns and box jumps
- A low-cut bootie design promotes quick transitions and freedom of movement
- The synthetic upper construction comes with a padded collar for support and comfort
- Use of soft EVA foam midsole to obtain a responsive feel
- A broader base and footprint for additional stability during workout sessions
- It looks large on the feet
- Lack of loop at the back lining for pulling it in place
The Reebok Women’s HIIT Tr Cross Trainer has targeted support for explosive movements.
To help you stay on target throughout your HIIT training session.
Its lightweight nature and great support for bad knees, arches, and other foot conditions make it one of the best shoes for high-intensity interval training.
4. PUMA Women’s Tazon 6 WN’s FM Cross-Trainer Shoe
As always, PUMA delivers unique footwear that is a fusion of style, sports, and fashion.
The sleek, streamlined silhouette design of the PUMA Tazon 6 makes it distinct among the best shoes for high-intensity interval training workouts for women.
Having a synthetic leather upper with midfoot saddle offers maximum fit, while the EVA in the heel absorbs every impact encountered during an intense session.
This is a casual shoe with perforations at the toe area for enhanced breathability, thus keeping your feet fresh, cool, and dry always.
- Use of lace-up closure to get a snug and custom fit
- Synthetic leather upper with perfect detailing increases its durability
- Presence of padded collar and tongue for comfort
- Soft foam comfort insole gives added cushioning and support
- EVA midsole and TPU shank helps increase its stability
- Grippy rubber outsole for a firm grip on gym surfaces
- T-toe construction, midfoot saddle, and breathable EcoOrthoLite sock liner promotes optimal fit and comfort
- Cushioned midsole and EVA heel pod guarantees proper cushioning and shock absorption
- Narrow toe box which does not allow the toes to spread properly
- It feels thick and clunky on the feet
Although the PUMA Women’s Tazon 6 FM Cross-Trainer Shoe is stylish and attractive, it is best for narrow feet, mostly because of its streamlined design, making it one of the best HIIT workouts women’s shoes in town.
You can easily identify the original with the PUMA No.1 logo crested at the tongue and form strip at the lateral side, alongside the cat logo at the medial side.
5. Inov-8 F-Lite 230 – Minimalist Cross Training Shoes
Since 2003, Inov8 has continually churned out high-quality, innovative footwear for both the running and performance training industry.
The lightweight, durable, breathable, and grippy nature of the F-Lite 230 makes it one of the best shoes for high-intensity interval training. This pair is versatile, indeed.
Thanks to the Inov8’s new shoe fit scale, it is much easier to find a perfectly fitting pair, considering that the lower the number on the scale, the narrower the fit and vice versa.
If you have a wide foot, those with a higher number offer extra comfort in the toe box since the toes can easily spread for added stability.
- Use of Met-Cradle technology that secures the midfoot for stability to boost your performance
- The lightweight mesh fabric of the upper allows you to enjoy unrestricted movement during training
- Reconstructed durable toe bumper gives supreme protection against burpee fatigue
- Injected EVA in the midsole for comfortable and protective purposes needed during intense workouts
- The Graphene outsole offers outstanding grip and traction needed for control during workouts
- Forefoot flex grooves and Fascia Band tech promote more excellent propulsion underfoot and receptivity
- EXTEROFLOW midsole will reduce the impact of shock and also works hard to cushion the underfoot
- Infusion of ROPE-TEC rubber outsole which wraps around the upper for optimal grip when climbing ropes
- Lack of additional material in the heel strike zone
- The laces are too short
The Inov-8 F-Lite 230 Cross Training Shoes will give you a low-to-the-ground minimalist and excellent barefoot transitional feel without compromising on comfort.
The flexible nature allows you to react, adapt, and swiftly grip all surfaces when in the gym, training, or weightlifting arena.
6. Nike Men’s Metcon 5 Training Shoe
If you want a Nike that offers specific stability, speed, traction, and durability whenever you need it during high-impact training, then the Men’s Metcon 5 is the perfect recommendation.
You will benefit immensely from the improved wider heel, removable Hyperlift insert, super abrasion-traction, and durable rope wrap features.
The durable haptic 3D print upper offers a dominant resilience in high-wear areas with an updated tongue that gives more wraps and padding around the ankles to get a secured fit.
- Hyper-lift insert in the low, flat, and wide heel area will improve stability for wall balls, thrusters, and squats
- Use of lightweight sandwich mesh aids proper ventilation
- Possesses diverse cushioning with the firmer foam under the heel for a secure feel and a soft foam in the forefoot to absorb high-impact moves
- Directional traction and rubberized rope wrap on the outsole for excellent grip when rope-climbing or sliding down
- Plastic TPU heel clip helps cut down on friction and helps athletes gain speed when on inverted push-ups
- Available in 18 color blends to suit your need, style, and personality
- The tongue is stiff along the ankle area
- Small size, it is advisable to order a size up.
The Nike Men’s Metcon 5 Training Shoe is truly qualified to be among the all-purpose best shoes for high-intensity interval training. It is comfortable, flexible, and you have lots of beautiful colors and designs to choose from.
7. Under Armour Men’s Charged Commit 2.0 Cross Trainer
Apart from being great and comfortable for weight work and squats, the Under Armour Men’s Charged Commit 2.0 is also a great shoe for everyday use.
While the leather on the top of your foot will keep you stable, the flex grooves at the bottom will increase movement, and the charged cushioning will also promote maximum impact absorption.
Made with mesh uppers and leather midfoot saddle, the ventilation is top-notch and, as such, Guarantees a comfortable fit.
This pair has got the right combination of support and space across the top of the toe box and a firm but thick cushioned sole that makes lateral movements easy due to the stability it offers.
- Presence of light, breathable, and stretchy ArmourVent mesh upper for flexibility
- Dual-external heel counter gives a supportive fit that aids stability
- Fixed, moisture-wicking sock liner offers a molded and snug fit that reduces slippage within the shoe
- The leather midfoot saddle gives the feet a comfortable feel thanks to custom fitting support for lifting and resistance
- Flex grooves on rubber outsoles enable flexible footing
- Lace-up closure for a secured fit
- Use of custom tread-pattern outsole to obtain a firm grip on flat gym floors to help the athlete enjoy responsive cushioning and stability on all kinds of surfaces
- The arch support is not enough
- The sock liner in the heel area is not durable
Under Armour Men’s Charged Commit 2.0 Cross Trainer allows you to focus on your form instead of trying to keep from twisting your ankle during HIIT sessions.
It is a combination of stability, functionality, and style, a beautiful pair that is perfect for workouts and casual outings.
8. Skechers Men’s Equalizer 2.0 True Balance Sneaker
Skechers Equalizer 2.0 True Balance Sneaker provides unrivaled comfort, given the stretch-knit mesh used for the upper. This feature promotes the flexibility of movement during HIIT sessions.
Also, the Air-Cooled Memory Foam Insole enables it to provide all-day comfort, making it contour to most foot shapes and, as well, increase breathability.
This remarkable outcome is due to the gel-infused, high-rebound memory foam, molded dual-lite base material, and moisture-wicking insole.
- Use of mesh weave at both sides helps with breathability and keeps the feet fresh all-day
- The midsole is built on a shock-absorption technology
- Flexible textured rubber controls your movement, providing the right amount of traction in the process
- Presence of durable synthetic overlay at the lace area
- Fabric heel stripe overlay with pull-on heel loop for easy on and off
- Lace-up frontal for a custom fit
- Comfortable for people with wide feet and high arch
- The package comes with extra laces
- It is not waterproof
- The stitching comes apart after a few uses
- It is not advisable to use on wet surfaces
The bouncy and soft feel of the cushioning of Skechers Men’s Equalizer 2.0 True Balance Sneaker will take the pain of plantar fasciitis away and also take the pressure off your knees and heels.
9. NOBULL Men’s High-Top Trainer
If you desire to take your High-intensity interval training to the next level, you will need footwear that can withstand the intensity you want to put your body and feet through.
That is where the NOBULL Men’s High-Top Trainer excels. This pair possesses the ultra-durable SuperFabric that will withstand all forms of harsh situations.
More so, it is made of a breathable material that will keep your feet comfortable and fresh all through your workout session.
With the SuperFabric guard plates on its flexible, lightweight mesh base layer, you receive the freedom of movement and all-round protection during rope climbs, etc.
- The high-cut collar offers padding and a lockdown fit to aid movement in any direction
- Use of high carbon lateral and medial guards as extra protection on the sidewalls
- The lug pattern on the outsole allows for a smooth transition from the inside to the outside, thanks to the right blend of traction, support, and flexibility
- Presence of a breathable perforated micro-suede tongue for extra comfort and proper aeration
- Molded, anatomical sock liner for a secured fit that prevents slipping
- Reflective NOBULL logo offers visibility whenever needed
- It comes with two pairs of laces in the package
- Average quality control
- Lack of pull tab on the top part of the shoe to help with sliding on and off
- It is an expensive brand
The NOBULL Men’s High-Top Trainer is highly recommended for resistance, cardio, strength, and endurance training because it is light, durable, and sturdy.
10. New Balance Men’s MX40V1 Gym Workouts Training Shoe
The New Balance Men’s MX40V1 is ideal for HIIT and CrossFit Training, thanks to the minimal, temperate, and comfortable feel it brings to the feet.
It is an advanced version of the New Balance MX20 with features such as a lower profile and “j-bars” to keep the heels in place.
If you love running, squats, deadlifts, and performing lateral movements, the rapid rebound in the forefoot of the shoe will sure help propel your runs. The REVLite in the heels also adds stability.
You will enjoy reliable support, a perfect foot wrap feel, and also look classy in its sleek design.
- Use of synthetic and textile lightweight TPU yarn woven mesh uppers for flexibility in movement
- Durable and slip-resistant grippy Vibram Outsole aids traction and shock absorption
- External heel clip or molded external counter gives extra support for tough training
- A roomy toe box that ensures the feet of anyone on the big side remains comfortable
- There is no need for a break-in period
- Great support and soft cushioning keep the back, knees, feet, and legs in good condition no matter the extremity of the HIIT session
- It is not recommended for distance running
- Lack of pronation support
- Mesh uppers wear down with constant use
The New Balance Men’s MX40V1 offers optimal heel support and firmness for lifting owing to the right cushioning in the forefoot that is specifically designed for running.
The durability is top-notch, no matter the intensity of rope climbing, burpees, short runs, and regular aggressive training that you subject it to.
Considerations Before Buying Shoes for HIIT
Engaging in HIIT in the wrong shoes will make you prone to injuries that may require surgery.
The best way to avoid such is to stick to the best shoes for HIIT workouts. Let’s find out below the features to look out for when making a selection.
An Interesting Read: The 10 Best Shoes to Wear After Foot Surgery of 2022
For high-intensity interval training, it is vital to put on the best shoes that sport the right amount of support for your feet.
HIIT training requires a lot of heavy lateral movement; as such, it is best to shop for shoes that have enough support for the feet and ankles.
The perfect shoe for HIIT offers both sole and heel support.
Since HIIT focuses more on jumping, sprints, and lateral movements, your shoe must be well-supported to absorb the attendant shock from impact.
When making your pick, ensure the cushioning for the midsole can offer stability and prevent slippage, two factors that could be detrimental if not available when on the motion.
Fit & Size
Knowing your foot type is an important necessity to correctly determine the perfect pair of shoes that will support you when in motion.
Your foot can be flat, high-arched, or neutral, as such, to get the best fit, it is crucial to go for a professional fitting to get your feet measured.
Ensure you take a pair of socks or custom orthotics along to get the best fit.
The best fit for a flat foot will be those with lesser cushioning so that you can have room to move your feet undisturbed.
For a high-arched or neutral foot, you will need more cushioning to protect your forefoot when making a landing.
Ensure you choose the right size for your feet because a loose and unstable pair of shoes will hamper your movement.
Since HIIT is all about enthusiasm and high energy, your shoes must always be comfortable around your feet. This will save you from bruises, blisters, fractures, aching knees, shin splints, etc.
To save yourself from injury when performing lateral movements, your HIIT shoes should be grippy enough to guarantee traction and help you stay safe on your feet.
Considering that you will perform most of your activities on different surfaces, the outsole should have the right tread pattern and flexible enough to deliver, even on hard and slippery surfaces.
Life-threatening slips or missteps are avoidable if your shoes have the right traction and grip to enable you to twist your foot as you desire during a workout session.
The best pair of shoes for HIIT should have a breathable and flexible upper, which will keep your foot cool, dry, and fresh.
A breathable shoe with a mesh upper will allow air to flow freely, so your feet do not become smelly due to the intensity of the activities.
In summary, it is essential to stay away from shoes that have leather uppers considering that they will make your feet sweat profusely.
While you don’t expect your HIIT shoes to last a lifetime considering the intensity of the activities you use them for, picking up the right one could give value from each pair.
What better way to assure this than to buy a quality brand that can withstand its purpose.
No matter the intensity of your workout indoors or outdoors, every one of its parts must be sturdy, durable, and rugged. Speaking of durable, check out our top 10 durable shoes review here!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Why shoes for HIIT?
A. Given the nature of high-intensity interval training that encompasses small bursts of excruciatingly tough exercise accompanied by a short period of rest, you need a pair of shoes that can withstand swift turns and landings, as well as an unexpected pop of energy.
Undoubtedly, your regular running shoe does not have the functionality and sturdiness that a shoe for HIIT requires for you to achieve the result you desire for your body.
In other words, your HIIT shoes need to have a flexible and breathable upper, stability, shock, absorbency, traction, and adequate cushioning.
Q. What is HIIT?
A. HIIT is High-Intensity Interval Training alternates between short periods of explosive anaerobic exercise with reduced recovery time.
However, your fitness level will determine the intensity of the workout and also the duration.
The purpose is to improve glucose metabolism, athletic capacity, and also reduce the fat mass of the body significantly.
If you want a fast way to burn off calories and stay fit, do consider some HIIT.
Q. What are the benefits of HIIT?
A. HIIT training is a fast routine that is ideal if you don’t have the time to spend on a long workout session to become fitter, healthier, and stronger.
Since you are using your body weight as a training tool, HIIT does not require any (or much) equipment other than wearing the proper shoes.
Although you may not lose weight with HIIT, you will discover that you are burning calories, given that muscles get strengthened when fat burns.
Q. Why is low heel drop important in HIIT shoes?
A. To enjoy your HIIT shoes, they should offer maximum stability, an important consideration given the different actions that you will perform during HIIT.
These moves include, but not limited to, squatting, jumping, weightlifting, etc. In effect, only a zero-drop shoe will keep you safe from falling or twisting your ankles.
Q. Why should your HIIT shoes be lightweight?
A. During your workout session, your shoe should not put extra stress on your feet as it may slow you down or cause you to misstep.
The ideal HIIT shoe must be lightweight to promote flexibility when on the motion.
When opting for a lightweight shoe, you should ensure other basic features are in place to avoid exposing yourself to injury.
Q. What is the ideal price for the best HIIT shoes?
A. With HIIT shoes, price should not always be the major parameter to inform your decision; most times, the price is a function of the brand’s popularity and not necessarily its features.
What you should look out for is comfort, stability, and quality at an affordable price.
Do not let the price tag deceive you; some brands offer excellent quality at a low price.
You will be able to make a better choice from this review without leaving a hole in your pocket.
Q. How often should you replace your HIIT Shoes?
A. Replacing HIIT shoes is dependent on the quality of your shoe at purchase, the number of hours you spend in it, and the intensity of your sessions.
Other factors include the care you give to it after each use, whether you are wearing it indoors or outdoors.
However, the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine advises that you change your shoes every four to six months to avoid ankle pain or constant pain in your feet due to breakdown in the support the shoes offer.
To reduce the expense of buying new shoes frequently, you can have more than a pair that you can interchange quickly.
High-intensity interval training sure deserves a quality pair of shoes that will keep you comfortable and safe during your workout sessions.
Unlike running and other forms of workout, you can’t afford to compromise on the essential features that it demands.
Considering the mix in your routines, your shoe must allow you to make those moves, especially lateral movements, without the need to change shoes.
Also, most HIIT shoes have arch support and excellent stability that ensures you are not in pain even if you have a foot condition.
Our reviews of the different brands of the 10 best shoes for HIIT of 2022 is the perfect guide to help you arrive at the best choice to keep every part of your feet in top shape after each session.
Keep staying fit and healthy!